Thursday, March 24, 2016

This is for the Birds

All week I've  been in a slump. Everything  I paint looks like crap and it's  bumming me out. The horoscope  lady in the newspaper  said it was due to the lunar eclipse.  I'm  not  sure  if  I  believe  any of  the  horoscope  stuff, but it  makes  a great excuse.  Today  it hit me, every time  I step up to the easel I  shouldn't  expect a masterpiece. Baseball  players  don't  hit a  home run  every single  time  they  step  up  to  the  plate.  They  practice a lot and sometimes  they still strike out.
So today  I decided  to practice and not worry  about  hitting  anything  out  of  the  ballpark.
It's  a lot  less  stressful  when  you don't  have  high expectations. These  are just  small  sketches  and they  went quickly. I  sketched out American  white pelicans, brown  pelicans, egrets, blue heron, Canadian geese, Coots and...
Some old fashioned  American birds.

2 comments:

  1. Love those old fashioned American birds! The front view of the brown pelican is a great shape - is it my imagination or do birds avoid that orientation to us? Drawing is the artistic equivalent of drinking 8 glasses of water and eating your vegetables...you're hard on yourself but you balance it with persistence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the ladies too. The one on the right is my great-aunt. I did a little watercolour sketch of them too.

      Delete