Saturday, April 23, 2016

Flower Power

Pink Rose 4x4 oil on gessoed panel
I'm not much of a flower painter so when I found this wilted rose I knew it was perfect to try and paint. There felt like a bit of a safety net with a wilted flower. There wasn't so much pressure to make it look so pretty and exact.
I came across this really cool frame and I know some say you shouldn't make a painting just to fit a frame, it should be the other way around but until the money tree I planted starts producing I will continue to find bargain frames and find stuff to paint to fit them. I went back and forth with this 4x4 frame and what kind of painting could work with it. The wilted rose fit nicely in the little square. The wilty rose in the cool frame will be for sale at one of three shows coming up in May.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice rose, a very difficult subject. I paint to fit whatever size canvas I have, only when it fails do I have to crop. Yeh it would be nice, not to be restricted by a certain format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They are a little intimidating.

      Delete
  2. You broke up the space beautifully on this one. I hope this paragon of a frame doesn't obscure that little pink bit in the upper left corner. It activates that area very unobtrusively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frame is so awesome it doesn't obscure anything. Honestly I held the frame up to it a few times to make sure nothing important would be cut off. I've learned a few things, now I'm remembering to use those lessons.

      Delete