Monday, May 9, 2016

Edvard Munch

Wasn't sure there was a movie about Munch but I found one. It's filmed like a documentary, I don't know if that classifies it as a mocumentary. It does have subtitles and at times it feels as if you could be watching time melt but I think that's how you're supposed to feel. Munch went into a bit of a depression and his work changed and this film really puts you in that frame of mind. A lot of critics say this is one of the best films ever made, which is odd that I just stumbled upon it. If it is one of the best you'd think we'd all have seen it by now. It has a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.  It's available on Amazon Video for $2.99, or to purchase the DVD set and Vimeo for $3.99 per part. It's a 3 hour 45 minute movie so it comes in two parts. I try to figure out the best place to find the movie for others to watch and I found this site Just Watch which allows you to type in a movie and it searches for the best place to stream the movie if it's available. According to Just Watch you can also watch this on Fandor. It looks like a lot of rain in the forecast this week, might be a good time to stay inside and watch a 3 hour 45 minute movie about a great artist.
This next bit is a continuation of my post from yesterday. If you're not interested in the trials and tribulations on mixing paint then feel free to skip it. Yesterday I wrote about mixing greens and how picking up a tube that says yellow and one that says blue won't always give you what you're expecting. Most artists I know use ultramarine blue, which is the warmest blue. This is where a lot of people get confused, how can blue be warm? Ultramarine blue is biased towards red, it's a more purple blue.  A pthalo blue would be a cool blue, it leans more towards the green side. That's the easiest way, for me, to differentiate a warm and cool blue. Same with the other colours. If a red leans towards purple it's cool, if it leans towards orange it's warm and so on and so forth. The colour wheel might seem a bit elementary but they're pretty handy for those just learning how to mix paint. About those greens I was trying to achieve yesterday.
The thing is, once you've learned how to mix and what theoretically should work you then have to sift through the many brands of paint and their nuances. One brand's cadmium yellow can be quite different from another's.  I did a small test to see what could be my issue. Here are four different brands of paint of Cad Yellow deep. First is the Winton brand from Winsor Newton (a relic from my college days), Rembrandt, M. Graham, then an M. Graham Indian Yellow (I was just curious to try it), then Gamblin. Now these all lean towards an orange so they're going to be a warm yellow. Keep that in mind and you can probably figure out what will happen when you mix with an ultramarine blue. Both are warm and going back to the elementary lessons, blue and orange are complimentary so they "cancel" each other out. That's the terminology I was taught, in actuality it means you should get a duller/greyer colour.
Here is my swatch test. The top half is mixed with ultramarine blue and you can see the mixes are dark and dull, which may not look pretty but are very useful. The bottom half are the same yellows mixed with viridian.  You can click on the picture to enlarge if you need to. The M. Graham and Gamblin mix very similar which is nice to know. The Rembrandt is very different, which was what was causing me issues while painting yesterday. You can probably tell from the previous picture that the Rembrandt is the one I prefer to use. Since I was running low I picked up the other brands and clearly should have tried them before I set out to paint on location. Again, all of these mixes are useful in some capacity so they're not bad, but it's just frustrating when you expect to get a certain mix and get something quite different.
Mixing paint is fun for me.  It's like playing "mad scientist" and magician at the same time.

3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking that Indian Yellow with Ivoy Black might just nail Mississippi olive brown. Im also going to have to reconsider Viridian. Whose Viridian are you using? It looked nice and loose on your palette today. I have Williamsburg's and it's stiff, grainy and tooth-pasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The viridian I had today is the Blick brand. I found it in the clearance room and thought I'd give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised by it. Gamblin is good but a little stiffer. I have an old tube of Grumbacher that is my favourite. I'm hoping they still make it the same when I need more.

      Delete
  2. Sadly they don't...it used to be top drawer paint. If you like the Blick you might want to stay with that.

    ReplyDelete