Monday, October 24, 2016

The Mystery of Picasso


The first time I watched this movie was in an Art History class.  We had spent a long time learning about Picasso and I wasn't that impressed with his work, it's not my cuppa but that's just me. They made such a big deal about Guernica, I understood the symbolism of it all but didn't get the big deal. What made him so fabulous? Then we had to watch this and I remember thinking, I want to dance around and paint too. Now I dance around while cooking in the kitchen. I rarely dance around while painting, but maybe I'll give it a shot.
The one thing I hope some will get from watching this is that you can see how confident he is. He's not timid when it comes to painting. I've seen far too many timid painters who are holding themselves back because they're afraid to make the wrong brushstroke. Honestly, the only wrong brushstroke is the one you don't make.
You can watch the whole thing on Vimeo here, or look around and you might be able to find it somewhere else. 

1 comment:

  1. We saw this one in school too. Professors be crazy about Picasso.
    There's a pastelist, Dawn Emerson, that likes to dance as she draws, to keep her from being too tight.

    ReplyDelete