Monday, November 21, 2016

M.C. Escher Documentary (by CINEMEDIA-NPS-RNTV) [1999]

As far as documentaries go, I think this one was very well done. With a clear synopsis of Escher's life and interviews with him, it really gives a great insight on Escher's life as an artist. What stood out the most to me was the interview towards the beginning. He explained that one of his teachers had asked him if he wouldn't rather be a graphic artist instead of an architect. I've discussed this with friends before, how ill prepared kids are when they're sent off to college or into the working world.  There are so many possibilities out there that young people have no idea about. For example, I had no idea they paid people to taste test ice cream. HELLO! Sign me up! I would do that job for free. Back in the day I got a job watching movies. No lie, I got paid to either count the people that walked in the door and match it up with the box office sales and other times I checked the cleanliness of the theatre or I had to go in and watch the advertisements played before the film. I stumbled onto that job and if I hadn't I would have had no idea that people actually got paid to do that. Now people give out that information willingly, for free, on social media. The whole point is, it's important to know there are many avenues you can take with your education or life in general.  It's nice if you can have a teacher or mentor push you in the right direction. Look where it got Escher. He still seemed to be kind of what we refer to now as "emo" but he had some happiness with the choice he made with not becoming an architect. 

2 comments:

  1. First time I've seen his drawings and older woodcuts. They're REALLY nice - amazing grasp of high viewpoint perspective...at least it seems amazing to a flatlander...and the multiple vanishing points as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was drawn (no pun intended) to the multiple vanishing points and different perspectives because I'm still putting together my notes on that infamous book I'm working on and I was just going through some stuff on multiple vanishing points.

      Delete