Monday, January 2, 2017

Greatest Art Movie Ever "Art of the Steal" (2009)


I watched this one a few years ago on, I think it was PBS, and it made me angry. I know being angry isn't the way you want to start off a new year, but it's a good type of angry. It's the lighting a fire in your belly type of angry. The type of angry that makes you want to shake your fist in the air and scream, this isn't right!
This is a documentary about the 25 billion dollar collection that Dr. Albert C. Barnes acquired and left for students to learn from and enjoy. It's about how it was very specific that the collection remain where it was and kept there for its original intended purpose, but how it eventually got swindled away by a corrupt board of directors and so on. The documentary does do a good job of presenting the pros and cons to both sides, which in turn leaves it up to the viewer to decided whether or not what happened was wrong. I'm still on the fence about this one. At first I 100% felt like Dr. Barnes's wishes should be upheld. He left specific instructions for what should happen to the artwork. So should his instructions be followed or should the work be more easily accessible to the general public according to the wishes of some board of directors? Who knows what's best?  It's hard to decide.
All I know is, if I make specific wishes before I die and someone goes against them, you better believe I will come back and haunt their ass. 

1 comment:

  1. Aarrgh...I had forgotten about this ...now it's haunting me again!

    ReplyDelete