Thursday, February 23, 2017

Bad is Bad but it Could be Good

Tattoo Parlor Door 5x3" watercolour study on paper
The other day while out painting with fellow plein air painters someone brought up the subject of how your paintings are effected when you're having a bad day or in a bad mood.  We all agreed that most artists insert their moods/emotions into their work and you can tell if someone's had a bad day. I thought it odd that nobody discussed whether or not you could tell if someone was having a good day. What do you think, does a good mood/day translate to a good painting? Is a painting always bad if you're having an off day?
Bad days happen to the best of us but for some of us that doesn't mean we can just take the day off.  The other day I read a really great tweet, I know how hard that is to believe, from a comic book artist. I wish I could remember who so I could give credit. Anywho, they suggested that on a really good day, when you're feeling sharp that's when you draw faces and extra difficult poses. On mediocre days draw the backgrounds and when you're just not feeling up to snuff, draw in the panels. You could even save stuff like erasing pencil lines for bad days. Same goes for any other kind of painting, drawing, sculpting, etc. If you're having an off day maybe that's the day to gesso panels or stretch canvas. Just keep working and I'll keep you posted if there are ever any more intelligent tweets out there.

1 comment:

  1. Hah! Today I made panels and did my tax return...and I thought it was just the rainy weather. Good advice!

    ReplyDelete