Thursday, March 9, 2017

Going Goth

Pen and ink on drawing paper
A few weeks back my friends and I met up at the American Gothic House in Eldon, IA.  It's the house that Grant Wood used for his painting, American Gothic. We were there during the day but I thought it might be fun to make it look like a night scene. Mostly because whenever I hear, American Gothic, I always think of the horror movie with the same name. It came out in the late 80s and back then I thought it was scary, it even has Yvonne De Carlo in it. It's kinda funny to consider how many times Grant Wood's painting has been parodied.  There are websites simply documenting the parodies. The painting is said to be much like the Mona Lisa and The Scream as in very few people have actually seen the real painting but identify it by the many parodies. I s'pose it's a lot like music or movie remakes. If you grow up only knowing the remade version of a song or movie it's what you identify with first.

1 comment:

  1. It's powerful this way. I'm not familiar with the movie, so was put in mind of a certain X File episode - this really conveys something ominous. Great job on the perspective.

    ReplyDelete