Saturday, April 22, 2017

Cats in Hats

Ladies in Hats at the Museum watercolour sketch on white sulphite drawing paper.
Some of my painter friends and I took a road trip to the  St. Louis Art Museum to see the Degas, Impressionism, and the Paris Millinery Trade show.  The show is better than I had expected and it was a treat to see the ladies turn up in their fancy hats to help celebrate the show.
Along with the paintings they had hats on display. I'm not sure if the curator is a Twin Peaks fan but this dead owl hat definitely gave me a, the owls are not what they seem, feel. It was a little sad to read just how many birds were killed in order to be stuck on the top of a hat. Here's a link to an article about it if you're interested. 


The hats were fun but keeping an open mind I had to hit up the contemporary wing. Honestly I went to that section just to see the Frank Stella and Wayne Thiebaud, but this Donald Judd sculpture ended up being a lot of fun. (After walking by it three times and rolling my eyes at it.)  I don't think my friend John had as much fun with it but he was a good sport and let me take his picture anyway.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great little sketch. Especially like how they're all grouped around that bench and the way everything pushes into all four edges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. A friend left me a comment about how the one lady looks like a flasher and now I can't unsee it. She's reaching in her handbag but yea....

      Delete