Sunday, May 7, 2017

Roll Up Your Sleeves and Get to Work

Raccoon River 3 1/4 x 10 1/4 pastel on paper
Last Friday I participated in a pop gallery with several other artists.  I know most of them but I really enjoyed getting to know them better.  One of them was telling me how she's taken up making tiles. It's a new project she thought she'd like to do and knew nothing about it beforehand. She was jumping off the high dive into the deep end for sure.  What impressed me was how knowledgeable she had become and she wholly attributed that knowledge to just jumping in and doing the work. Setting a goal and following through. After making her first 25 tiles she knows a few things now. This is exactly how we improve and become more successful.

4 comments:

  1. What's a pop gallery?
    - engineer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's usually a one night event. An empty building or space is turned into a gallery for the night.

      Delete
  2. You are so right about setting goals! I just watched a video on composition and Ian Roberts said, now go apply this in your next 500 paintings. But how am I going to improve without committing to taking a new idea, and being disciplined enough to focus on a plan and doing the work? Kudos to all, like your fellow artist, who are able to commit and run with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how they're setting number amounts on their goals. I think it will make you accountable. Your next 500 paintings sounds like an impossible task but just yesterday I managed 16 cloud studies in a few hours. They weren't big, but I learned something from each one. Now on to my thousand!

      Delete