Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Hugging the Learning Curves

Seems like so many things we see and do have a video or some sort of interactive part to it these days. I'm not going to lie, sometimes it's fun to watch other people paint. Everybody loves happy little trees!  This is my first attempt at trying to record myself inking this quick sketch.  I used my Google Glass and some Sony software to speed up a 10 minute video to about a 30 second video. It was interesting, for me, to use the Google Glass. I could see just how fast I was going. It felt like I had been working on this for an hour but glancing at the display I was only 6 minutes in. There are parts where you can't really see what my hand is doing and I think that has to do with the Glass being too big for me. You wear them like glasses so they move with the movement of your head, not your eyes. Sometimes I'm actually not moving my head just my eyes and the Glass doesn't follow where my eyes and hands go. They're a pretty cool piece of technology but they obviously have their limitations. 
video
(for those having trouble watching the video on here, click the link to my Instagram here and you can view the 1 minute version). 
If you thought learning how to paint was hard, try learning to paint and record a video of yourself at the same time. 

8 comments:

  1. The video doesn't seem to be there on mine...always good to exercise the imagination though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if there'd be issues with mobile devices. Google evidently still enjoys using Flash (ahaaa) and Apple/Amazon does not. I added a link to the Instagram version if you're willing to put your imagination to rest for one minute.

      Delete
    2. That was instructive, I'm used to painting all over an image, but obviously with ink you have to plan where you're going to prevent smears. Kind of like the speeded up look.

      Delete
    3. Yea, this definitely wasn't my first rodeo for inking. I've learned a few things over the years. Surprised how no one has mentioned how my ink is on the right side. Since I have a tendency towards left handedness but work right handed I always put the paint/ink/whatever on the left hand. After screwing up endless amounts of decent pencil drawings I learned to move the ink to the right side. Still getting used to working that way but one huge benefit to that is my coffee cup is on the left and the ink is on the right.

      Delete
  2. I was able to enlarge it on my desktop. The view was good with your brushstrokes in view. Low resolution, but good enough to understand how you handled the brush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. After the video posted I noticed it was Flash so that's one problem solved. It's lo-res because Blogger only allows a 100mB video so it's highly compressed. It is a rather large learning curve. It was so much easier when I just got up, walked across the room to change the channel on the TV and never gave a thought to how the picture got in there.

      Delete
  3. Hmm, video hangs on my Nexus 5x...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think the next time I'll just upload to Youtube. Thought this would be handy but it doesn't seem to be working.

      Delete