Monday, June 5, 2017

John Berger / Ways of Seeing , Episode 3 (1972)

The show for this week is episode three of Ways of Seeing.  John Berger's hair just gets better and better.  This one took a minute to get into, meaning I wasn't quite sure where it was going. However, like the previous two episodes it got me thinking right away. 
"If you buy a painitng you buy also the look of the thing it represents".  Not exactly sure what that means but it got me thinking about a conversation I had with my friend and fellow painter, Deb. We were discussing an artist and I said I didn't like the colour palette they worked with. She said she didn't mind the colours but the application is what she didn't like. So would we not buy their paintings because we didn't like the representation? For me that's exactly what that means. I love strawberry milkshakes but if someone painted one in a way that didn't make me want another strawberry milkshake in my life there's no way I would buy it. If Picasso painted that strawberry milkshake you know someone would pay millions just because it was a Picasso. No thanks. That's when paintings turn into investments and not something to be enjoyed. 
Then when he started speaking about the people who could afford to buy paintings and commission portraits. This got me thinking about this "white privilege" crap we hear so much about today. Why can't we have more diversity in films? Why can't we have more women in political office? Why can't people shut up? Anywho, so rich people could afford paintings so that must've influenced some artists to paint things that they would purchase. Some artists do that. Some artists look for the trends and paint what is selling. Does that make them artists or businessmen? Furthermore, if anyone could afford to buy a good painting what would they want to have hanging on their wall?  If someone living in poverty had the chance to own a good painting what would they want? Since some people are so convinced that rich people are the only ones who have influence it makes me curious as to what they would want or even commission. It would probably really surprise everyone.  Just because you have a lot of money doesn't mean you have good taste and just because you have no money doesn't mean you don't have any taste.  And just because you think you have good taste or your grandma tells you that you do, doesn't mean you do. Just because you can pay an artists to paint your portrait doesn't make you any better looking or more important than the next person. 

1 comment:

  1. This was a fun one. Some of the people in those portraits were so homely I cracked up. Now I'm wondering what it means that I recently painted a bunch of alleys with dumpsters...

    ReplyDelete