Sunday, June 25, 2017

Plein Air Packing Part Three: Oil

Hibiscus 8x10 oil study on panel
Each medium has its pros and cons when plein air painting. When it comes to plein air competitions oil paint is one of the easiest to work with, mostly because you don't have to worry about mats and glass when framing.  As far as traveling with oil paint, it's not as easy as watercolour. The Gamblin website has a treasure trove of information on how to travel with your oil paints. If you're road tripping you won't have much to worry about.
Here are the items I pack when oil painting. Again, this is just my setup, yours will vary depending on your needs and techniques. 
  1. Lammert Paint Box
  2. Lint roller- this is one that may have you scratching your head, but it's handy if you're worried about ticks. The areas I spend most of my time in are known for ticks. Just roll over your clothes to pick up any critters that may be trying to hitchhike. 
  3. Bandage spray- I actually need to put some of this in each of my setups. It's better than a regular plaster/bandage because it won't get gross with paint and fall off. 
  4. Back scratcher- I honestly bought this to use as a makeshift mahl stick but my friends have used it more as a back scratcher than I've used it as a mahl stick. It's proved to be very useful.
  5. Multi-purpose clips- come in handy for all manner of situations. 
  6. Multi-tool-  This has come in handy when needing to repair easels and it's useful when needing to frame. It's also come in handy when the cap on a tube of paint wouldn't come loose. 
  7. Sunscreen-This is a Neutrogena brand stick of sunscreen. It's non-greasy and has a pleasant scent. 
  8. Viewcatcher- You can read more about this tool in a previous post here
  9. Tissues- these come in handy during allergy season and when you forget towels.
  10. Pencil Case-The contents of the pencil case are listed in a post here
  11. Messenger bag- I picked this one up for $8 at Menards. You don't need anything fancy, just something that works. 
  12. Panels and panel holder- I cut and prime my own panels from masonite.  The wet panel carrier is from Joshua Been. He makes and sells these in several different sizes and will custom make them for you as well. 
  13. Sketchbook- a good all media sketchbook

The inside of the Lammert Paint Box.
  1. Towel- just a regular old towel to wipe my brushes with.
  2. Oil Paint- I take a limited palette of; titanium white, cadmium yellow light, cadmium yellow medium, cadmium red, alizarin crimson, burnt umber, ultramarine blue and viridian. I also take a small jar of linseed oil. 
  3. Glass palette- the glass palette comes in the Lammert Paint Box and is removable.
  4. Paint Brushes- various brands and sizes. The Rosemary & Co. brand sells their brushes in both long handle and short handle. I prefer long handle but the short handles fit better in the box so I ordered some of my favourites in short handles. 

That's it.  Not a ton of stuff and it's easily manageable. If you have any questions about my setups or want to add something drop me a line or leave it in the comments. Hopefully this helps and you'll get out painting soon.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the bandage spray link. Gonna get some...never knew such a thing existed. Perfect for me - I carry a first aid kit but opening regular bandaids and applying them has probably introduced more crud than letting the cut bleed (which creates other issues handling/framing work).
    Was the Hibiscus from the garden tour? Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea that spray seals the cut better than just putting a bandage on. The hibiscus was from the garden tour. Such a great day to be out painting.

      Delete