Monday, July 24, 2017

How to fill a Sketchbook


Just a short video for this Monday.  How I stumbled onto this one I have no idea but it was fun. WARNING! She can be a bit crass, as you may be able to tell from the opening scene, so if you're overly sensitive and easily offended just skip this one. If you're not and you want some ideas on how to fill a sketchbook, take the time because she has some good ideas.
The reason why I'm sharing this one is because I just had a conversation with some friends about how people are so intimidated when it comes to painting, drawing, etc. There's some sort of fear of messing up a blank sheet of paper or canvas. What I can't wrap my head around is that as children we can't wait to be adults so we can make up our own rules. Kids are constantly told, don't do that, do this, that's wrong and on and on. Remember back to when you were a kid and you'll probably remember pouting and making all sorts of plans for how you were going to do it your way when you were older. Now that you're older are you doing it your way, or are you going back to the way someone told you how to do it?
Another reason why I shared this one is because this time of year is perfect for taking out a sketchbook and throwing down quick studies. Her idea of going to the library (I think she said libary) is great. Get some reference material and cool off in the air conditioning. 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting video...we're back to the "permission" issue. Funny, I just made a kraft sketchbook today and straight away I was wondering what to use on it first. Gouache, ink, pencil? Wonder what makes that so pernicious? Maybe I should set a cup of tea on the first few pages to make a ring.

    ReplyDelete