Monday, July 17, 2017

Jefferson Street at Night

Jefferson Street at Night 5x7" watercolour sketch on handmade cotton paper

It's much too nice outside to be inside watching movies or even working so I'll give you a movie tomorrow.  Today is this quick sketch I did of an evening scene in my hometown. This is Jefferson street and it has changed a lot over the years. I remember going shopping for school clothes on this street, being drug by the arm to go listen to Walter Mondale give a speech here, playing in the fountain (that's no longer there), being in parades, watching wiener dog races, watching bicycle races and endless amounts of other activities. It's funny how the shops on the street have changed over the years, even the street itself, but the memories still hold fast. This scene is typical, for this end of the street, at night. The other end of Jefferson would be filled with cars and no trees. I chose this block because of the trees and how they were lit up underneath by the street lamps. I thought it would be tough to do but if you stick to a traditional way of working in watercolour it was actually pretty easy. I drew in my basic shapes then painted in the sky and did a wash of yellow over the rest of the paper. Once it was dry I went in with the local colours and added a few details. The hardest part was judging that value of the lit portion of the buildings. When first looking at them they look extremely bright but squinting down it's only the windows that allow the light through that were bright and the rest was in a more muted middle value. Going back in and trying to correct that, after I thought I was done, was quite tricky.  Next time I'll try to be more mindful of that.  

2 comments:

  1. Really nice job getting the Bela Lugosi illumination under the trees. It looks as though the paper was rather absorbent. Not a criticism, I think you registered the character of the scene, just wondering how the surface behaved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that was what I was trying to get. Back lit and under lit are tough for me and I'm trying to tackle them.
      The paper sucks. If you zoom in you can see towards the bottom centre where it pilled. These sketchbooks used to be one of my favourites but I think they changed the way they made the paper, but with handmade I'm guessing it's going to be fairly inconsistent from book to book.

      Delete