Thursday, July 6, 2017

Plein Air Don't Care

Lily Pads at Heron Bend 3x5" watercolour
My group of plein air painting friends and I have been asked to have another group show. It will be in February 2018 but we're already in the planning stages. We had to come up with a title for our show and I jokingly threw out the name Plein Air Don't Care.  I sometimes use it as a hashtag on Instagram when I post my plein air adventures. Sometimes it's the attitude I feel you must take in order to keep doing what we do. For example, it was 104F today but I don't care, I still went out to paint. Evidently fishermen and most other people don't take on a similar attitude. I ventured out twice today and went to three different locations.  The first two I was all alone, except for the frogs, which was fine with me. 

Path at North Heron Bend 5x4" watercolour
Each sketch took me only 20 minutes. It's amazing what you can get done when there's nothing around to distract you. Oh, and sweltering heat to keep you motivated. 

Lily Pads at Riverview Park 3x5" watercolour
This last one was done at 9PM.  There was still a hint of sun as it was setting but unfortunately it wasn't enough to light my palette. I took Petey (one of  my dogs) down to the river for a walk.  I figured I'd paint after we got done and he was more than agreeable to that arrangement, however I forgot to bring my book lights and the car lights were attracting too many bugs so I did this one in the dark. Considering how it turned out I'm going to proudly display this as a good argument for using a limited palette. I couldn't see what I was mixing but I know what paint I have and where it is on the palette so I was painting with no light but not completely in the dark as they say. 
Also, it's world watercolour month so get out there and celebrate! 

4 comments:

  1. Very nice study of natural conditions throughout the day. The last one was impressive even more so under the conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a fun surprise to see what I ended up with.

      Delete
  2. Forgot to ask what the lovely vertical is in the Riverview park nocturne. Although it doesn't really matter in a way. It just needs to be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smokestack from an old factory. Nothing too exciting.

      Delete