(A few of the items are repeats from the previous post that you can read here. )
This setup weighs 13 pounds, which is pretty much the same as the oils so no more excuses that pastels are too heavy.
- This is my pastel box, it holds a very large number of pastels. There are probably about 200 or more in this box right now. The number can vary depending on what I put in. A lot of pastels come in half sticks and with those you can put in more colours.
- Handy dandy rucksack. This backpack has been with me for a very long time. It's a Jansport brand, something most people might buy their kids for school and has no signs of wear nor tear.
- Multi-media sketchbook
- Masking tape. Same cheap masking tape I use for watercolours.
- Hand wipes-pastels go really fast for me so I often need to clean my hands in between and after I'm done. Pastels will end up all over your clothes and face but don't worry they're easy to clean up.
- Sunblock-sunblock is important for all year around painting.
- Multi-purpose clips for all manner of emergencies.
- Pencil case- this is filled with a bunch of stuff that is listed in this previous post.
- Bug spray
- Plastic bag. When working in pastel I use a lot of those wipes and tape so I like to have a bag to collect my trash in.
Inside the box of pastels I keep the rest of the supplies needed to work with.
- Hardboard panel. This is an 11x14 piece of 1/8" masonite but any hard surface to tape your paper to will work. In a pinch I've even used a piece of cardboard when I forgot my board.
- Pastel paper. I pack several different sizes of paper, usually 9x12, 8x10 and 5x7.
- Glassine- Glassine is what I put on my finished painting to protect it until I get home or frame it. I hear a lot of people complain that it's too expensive, but I buy a roll, cut off small pieces and even reuse it. I bought a roll three years ago and have a ton left.
- Pastels- Both sides of the box are filled with pastels of various brands.
This is the whole thing set up and ready to use. You can see it takes up very little space and after weighing it, now I know it doesn't weigh that much either.