Sunday, July 23, 2017

Summer Reading List

Cloud Study 9x12" pastel on paper
Hopefully you've put a pretty good dent in your summer reading list by now. If not you still have time.  Between comic books and a box of old pulp fiction novels that was gifted to me by a friend, I've been going through Lorenzo Chavez's recommended books
When I first came across this list I thought, there's no way! I'll be spending all of my painting time reading and I can't give up my painting time.  Well, that's not the case, there's plenty of time to read, I just don't have plenty of time to watch TV and the fact that I'm not on Facebook seems to leave me plenty of free time. (try it, you might like it)  I had considered giving a review on the books but that would take up too much painting time.  Instead I'll give you some snippets of  what I found interesting or helpful, or perhaps both. 
From "Hawthorne on Painting", 
  •  Don't try to be an artist all at once, be very much of a student. 
  • Be always searching, never settle to do something you've done before.  
  • Always be looking for the unexpected in nature. You can never have formulas for anything. 
  • Don't learn how to do things, keep on inquiring how. 
  • You must keep an attitude of continuous study and so develop yourself. 
  • Discover beauty where others have not found it. 
and my favourite
  • One of the greatest things in the world is to train ourselves to see beauty in the commonplace. 


3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I like that last one the best too. Zbukvic has a counterpart statement I always liked: "There are no bad subjects, just bad paintings ". I'll send you an example he illustrates that with - a Walmart parking lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you think about it someone got paid to design that store so that people would want to shop there. If the designer did a good job it would be somewhat appealing to begin with. I think, ironically, the thought of a big box store being ugly is because it is a common place. When something gets over-saturated we lose interest really quickly. Who opened this can of worms?

      Delete
    2. Which loops us back to the comment about always looking for the unexpected

      Delete