Sunday, August 13, 2017

Hopefully Yours

Hopefully Yours 7x5" waterolour on Strathmore 400 series cold press
This is the front of the former Hopefully Yours store.  It moved to a new location but I thought the old building had a bit more character to paint. Unfortunately when I went the lighting wasn't so fabulous.  The front of the building faces north and the sun coming up over from the east at least made the turret fun to paint.
James Gurney has begun a new challenge to "Paint a Storefront", and it inspired me to go find an interesting building to paint. I have a love for old buildings so I should paint more of them. I guess it's a fear of not doing them justice is what holds me back from painting more of them.  My paintings just don't capture the personality of the building. Old buildings hold a lot of history in them. The people who owned them, the people who would go in them, who built them who maintained them, a lot of memories are held within the walls of old buildings.
Some history on the building is that it's part of the original Manufacturing and Wholesale District which had a unique hybrid style of Romanesque Revival, Renaissance, Classical Revival, Craftsman and 20th Century Modern. If my brief bit of research is correct this particular building was constructed in 1892. The three story Romanesque Revival originally held John Blaul's Sons Company, which was a wholesale grocery business.  In 1903 a four story side addition  was built, and today is a tattoo parlour. The most recent history of this building is that it was home to Hopefully Yours.  It's a thrift store that helps raise money for Hope Haven Development Center. "Hope Haven is a private non-profit organization that provides vocational, residential, community employment and living services for over 530 mentally and physically challenged persons in Southeast Iowa". One of the services they provide is to help their clients get jobs.  I remember working with a couple of them when I was in high school.  I worked at a restaurant called Carlos O'Kelly's and every morning Janet came in to mop the foyer and bathroom floors. To the rest of us it was a crappy job that nobody else wanted to do so we were just glad Janet came in to do it. For Janet it was her job and she took it very seriously.  She was very professional, on time, there to work and never complained about her job.  We all should have tried to be more like Janet.
On a side note, I was asked to test out this Strathmore watercolour paper and so I did.  My thoughts are, don't use it. It may be useful for crafty purposes but a lot of techniques used in watercolour painting can't be done very well on this paper. I can do a more in depth review on it if anyone's interested.

2 comments:

  1. Well, getting the personality of a now deserted building that had multiple incarnations is a tough one. I always thought the upper story and turret of that building was similar to the old prison in FM. Did the architect have offices in both towns?
    Nice job on the reflected light in the shadow side windows. A lot of us wrestled with that this past week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check on that part, never thought they might be the same architect. Checking the names of the architects on that area was fun, I now know where a lot of the street names came from.
      The reflected light was fun. Too bad the garage doors at the fire station were closed or I might've gotten some neat red reflections too.

      Delete